Gel / Shellac manicures are as popular as ever, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon! I do wonder some days what we did before gel polish was even invented!!
However, some of my clients worry about it damaging their nails. I always explain that as long as the manicure is done well, with quality products, and aftercare is done at home (cuticle oil applied regularly), and finally, the gels are correctly removed, there will be no damage to the natural nail itself. However, if gels are picked and pulled off, this can damage nails and can prevent the next set of gel lasting the full 2-3 weeks.
But I do know that sometimes my clients don’t have time for me to remove the gels when I am doing their manicure (which of course I do for free when they do have time), so here is a little guide on how to remove them yourself. It takes a bit more time than if I were to do them, as you have to do one hand at a time, but in the name of good nail care, it’s totally worth it. So here we go…
What you’ll need…
1. A nail file
2. Remover wraps (what I use) OR cotton wool, acetone and tin foil
3. Cuticle pusher or orange stick
5. Cuticle oil & hand cream
Now follow these 9 simple steps…
1. With a nail file, buff the top of the nail so they aren’t shiny anymore.
2. Open the remover wrap and place it on the nail OR saturate some cotton wool in acetone, place it on the nail and wrap the nail tightly in tin foil.
3. Repeat on the other fingers.
4. Leave for 10-15 minutes.
5. Remove the wrap (or foil), and the gel should have dissolved.
6. Gently use the cuticle pusher or orange stick to remove any loose gel from the nail. If necessary, you can re-wrap any nails with gel still on them.
7. Repeat on the other hand.
8. Apply lots of cuticle oil & lovely hand cream.
9. And hey presto, naked nails! All clean and ready for me to prettify again!
I re-painted my nails with a yellow ombré. I do love an ombré nail! Especially on hands that have received some well deserved TLC 😉
Who is she?!
Based in London, Natalie offers the full range of hand and feet prettification services at your own home, as well as at work, parties, weddings, events and everything in between! These include manicures, pedicures, gel polish and a special talent for gorgeous nail art (see her social media feeds for proof of said gorgeousness). Natalie is fully qualified with 10 years of experience under her belt and even offers little discounts for parties & larger groups if you speak to her nicely. She’s the life and soul of any hen party, loves anything remotely sparkly and is an avid festival goer (ask about her special ‘festival nail’ designs).